1/1 Photo of Lamb in a Greek Way
Zucchini and lamb were made for each other. Garlic, mint, oregano, and rosemary are mixed with pine nuts and currants to spice up the lamb filling, and are all baked together in zucchini shells. Opa! From the New Basics Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 zucchini, about 5-6 inches long
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried currant (or raisins)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1Trim the ends off the zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half lenghtwise; scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4" thick shell. Set aside the pulp. Sprinkle interior of the shells with the salt, and lay them, cut side down, on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350*F. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
- 3Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat, and add the garlic. Saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add the lamb and saute until browned, stirring to break up the lumps. Then add the pine nuts, tomatoes, 1 cup of reserved zucchini pulp, oregano, rosemary, mint, currants, and salt and pepper. Stir and remove the skillet from the heat.
- 5Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each zucchini shell so it will lie flat, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Fill the shells with the lamb mixture. Sprinkle them with the bread crumbs, and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb in a Greek Way
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.8
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 82.8 mg
- Sodium 848.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 25.9 g