Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Zucchini and lamb were made for each other. Garlic, mint, oregano, and rosemary are mixed with pine nuts and currants to spice up the lamb filling, and are all baked together in zucchini shells. Opa! From the New Basics Cookbook.
- 4 zucchini, about 5-6 inches long
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant (or raisins)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Trim the ends off the zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half lenghtwise; scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4" thick shell. Set aside the pulp. Sprinkle interior of the shells with the salt, and lay them, cut side down, on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat, and add the garlic. Saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lamb and saute until browned, stirring to break up the lumps. Then add the pine nuts, tomatoes, 1 cup of reserved zucchini pulp, oregano, rosemary, mint, currants, and salt and pepper. Stir and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each zucchini shell so it will lie flat, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Fill the shells with the lamb mixture. Sprinkle them with the bread crumbs, and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
DH and I made this dish for dinner last night. I never would have thought about pairing lamb and zucchini, but you are right, the flavors go together really well. We thought the dish was delicious, with a nice spicy flavor. I followed all directions as posted except that I took Kittencal's advice and doubled the oregano and added cayenne pepper. I used golden raisins as I had no currants. I also sprinkled fresh grated parmesan cheese and pecorino romano over my individual serving and liked it very much. I would definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for posting! My picture doesnt do the dish justice--sorry it was getting late. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks.
This was an amazing meal Sharon - it took some time to prepare but my, was it worth it! This recipe was saved by my mum and my daughter as well! I made it EXACTLY as posted and it worked like a dream......just wonderful, it is so nice to discover a new recipe with robust flavours, and yet so elegant as this! Thanks Sharon - made for ZWT4 - loved it! FT:-)
A really flavoursome lamb dish. I used dried currants in making this and I added a teaspoon of thyme to the oregano and rosemary. The tomatoes I was using proved to be rather too juicy, so I squeezed some of the juice out before adding them to the pan and then on a whim I added a tablespoon of merlot. I continued to sauté the contents of the pan for about a minute, until the liquid had reduced. Loved blend of flavours, and loved the pine nuts in this. I'll make this again Sharon, and the only change I'll make next time will be to omit the currants: wasn't so keen on them. Thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe!