1 hr 15 mins
Leipzig Red's Note:
Based on a recipe for Lamb Pie with Phyllo (I used puff pastry) in The Complete Book of Greek Cooking from the ladies of St. Paul's Orthodox church in Hempsted, NY. I like that you can toss in any extra veggies you've got lying around.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean lamb shoulder (boned, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 lb butter, for brushing phyllo dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (I use half white and half black pepper)
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 1 cup diced potato (boiled until barely tender)
- 3/4 cup feta cheese (crumbled or diced)
- 1/2 cup cooked rice (or extra 1/2 cup potato)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon quatre-epices (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry or 6 sheets puff pastry
- 1Brown lamb cubes in 3 tablespoons butter; remove with slotted spoon and place in a mixing bowl; salt and pepper to taste.
- 2In remaining fat, saute onions until clear. Add to meat in mixing bowl.
- 3Add to mixing bowl: potatoes, feta, rice, celery, parsley, olive oil, mint, cinammon, cumin (and quatre epices). (I added some frozen peas, too. Here's your chance to get rid of leftover veggies.).
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Grease pan.
- 6Spread half of puff pastry to cover the entire bottom and sides of pan. (If using phyllo, use at least 6 sheets; butter every sheet and be sure the sheets overlap.)
- 7Spread meat filling evenly.
- 8Lay out other half of puff pastry and seal edges. (If using phyllo, fold overhanging edges, then butter and arrange remaining sheets.)
- 9Brush top with melted butter. (If using phyllo, you can score the top with a sharp knife into the number of servings you want; don't cut all the way through.).
- 10Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
- 11Let stand 5 minutes.
- 12Serve with salad.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Pie
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.2
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 983.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 25.5 g