Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful recipe from Solo Suppers (Joyce Goldstein). The tomato sauce is outstanding paired with lamb. She recommends serving this with roasted potatoes and eggplant.
FOR THE LAMB
- 8 ounces lamb steaks or 3 (4 ounce) lamb chops
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine, plus additional for deglazing
- honey (optional)
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Rub the lamb with the olive oil, oregano, and cinnamon. Marinate for 1-2 hours, and bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, and oregano, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, swirl it around the pan, and then add the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, and add honey if the sauce tastes acidic.
- Cover the sauce and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place the lamb in the skillet, and cook 3-5 minutes on each side, until done to your liking.
- Remove the lamb to a warmed plate, and deglaze the pan with some additional red wine.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and simmer briefly.
- To serve, spoon the sauce over the lamb, and top with the feta and parsley.