I love "lamb Shish Kabob" I have never used ground lamb before, so I thought that I would make my recipe based on that. I wanted the lamb mixture to stand alone and came up with idea of making a relish out of tomato, carrot, onion and stuffed green olives. Then I thought that it needed some sauce and came up with the idea of making a Skordalla type sauce out of the Ricotta. That was the tough one!!! I made it several ways and then finally settled on this one. If you use skewers, you can also cook them on the grill, however, you will want to soak the skewers first. I did not have to soak them for the frying pan. This can be used as an appetizer, side dish, Main dish and other categories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 small pita pockets, cut in half
- 6 wooden skewers, cut in half (12" long) (optional)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme, remove stems
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
Step 2 for Ricotta Skordalla Sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Step 3 for Car-Tom-Oni-Oli Relish
- 1For Step 1- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- 2Regrigerate until ready to use.
- 3I let my mixture set overnight in the refrigerator.
- 4For Step 2- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 5I refrigerated mine overnight.
- 6For Step 3- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7I refrigerated this overnight.
- 8Because of the garlic in the meat mixture and the sauce, I did not add any garlic or spices to this relish.
- 9The carrots gave it some sweetness and the stuffed green olives did all the work for some extra flavor.
- 10I didn't know what to call this, so I took the first 3 letters off each ingredient.
- 11Step 4: You don't have to use the skewers, you can just make small meatballs.
- 12I made meatballs about the size of a walnut and shaped them into a 2 1/2" long cylinder around the skewer, one per skewer.
- 13I cooked and browned them in a large frying pan, with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, about 6-9 minutes.
- 14Step 5: Slip lamb off the skewers and place in pita bread halves, spread some"Car-Tom-Oni-Oli" Relish over the lamb and drizzle with Ricotta Skordalla Sauce.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb with Ricotta Skordalla & "Car-Tom-Oni-Oli" Re
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.8
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 81.1 mg
- Sodium 689.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives