Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love "lamb Shish Kabob" I have never used ground lamb before, so I thought that I would make my recipe based on that. I wanted the lamb mixture to stand alone and came up with idea of making a relish out of tomato, carrot, onion and stuffed green olives. Then I thought that it needed some sauce and came up with the idea of making a Skordalla type sauce out of the Ricotta. That was the tough one!!! I made it several ways and then finally settled on this one. If you use skewers, you can also cook them on the grill, however, you will want to soak the skewers first. I did not have to soak them for the frying pan. This can be used as an appetizer, side dish, Main dish and other categories.
- 3 small pita pockets, cut in half
- 6 wooden skewers, cut in half (12" long) (optional)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme, remove stems
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
Step 2 for Ricotta Skordalla Sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Step 3 for Car-Tom-Oni-Oli Relish
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 -8 stuffed green olives, diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- For Step 1- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Regrigerate until ready to use.
- I let my mixture set overnight in the refrigerator.
- For Step 2- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I refrigerated mine overnight.
- For Step 3- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- I refrigerated this overnight.
- Because of the garlic in the meat mixture and the sauce, I did not add any garlic or spices to this relish.
- The carrots gave it some sweetness and the stuffed green olives did all the work for some extra flavor.
- I didn't know what to call this, so I took the first 3 letters off each ingredient.
- Step 4: You don't have to use the skewers, you can just make small meatballs.
- I made meatballs about the size of a walnut and shaped them into a 2 1/2" long cylinder around the skewer, one per skewer.
- I cooked and browned them in a large frying pan, with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, about 6-9 minutes.
- Step 5: Slip lamb off the skewers and place in pita bread halves, spread some"Car-Tom-Oni-Oli" Relish over the lamb and drizzle with Ricotta Skordalla Sauce.
- Serve immediately.