1/3 Photos of Leek Fritters (Prassokeftedes)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs leeks, white and light green parts, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (from stale bread)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, for frying (I try to use as little as possible, the Greek way is to use a lot)
- 1Place the potatoes with enough water to cover by two inches, add a little salt and bring to a boil; then simmer until soft--about ten minutes, depending upon the size of your potato pieces.
- 2Drain and place in a large bowl.
- 3Place the leeks in a steamer over two inches of boiling water and cover and steam for about 10 minutes.
- 4Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- 5Preheat oven to 200°F.
- 6Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy; add the leeks and combine.
- 7Add in the eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and the oregano and mix well.
- 8Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- 9Drop in about 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each kefte and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
- 10Fry in batches, about three minutes a side, until keftes are golden.
- 11Remove to paper towels on racks to drain and then keep warm in the oven.
- 12Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek Fritters (Prassokeftedes)
Serving Size: 1 (1880 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g