These make great appetizers for a party or a first course for dinner, or a yummy snack. You could put these in the lunch box too! Adapted from Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1⁄4 small onion
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped (if using salt packed capers, soak in a little milk and drain)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- hot sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise (just enough to bind)
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Cut the rounded ends off the eggs, scoop out the yolks into a bowl, and stand the hard bouled egg whits upright in the egg carton. If you wish to serve the eggs on a platter, trim a small piece of the egg off the pointed ends so they will stand upright.
- Break the egg yolks up a little bit using a fork. Grate the garlic into the egg yolks, then grate about 2 tbls. of onion juice into the bowl. add the capers, 1 tsp of lemon zest, the juice of the lemon, a few dashes of hot sauce, the mayonnaise, pepper, and half of the parsley. Mash until smooth and check seasonings, adjusting if necessary.
- Fill the egg whites, overstuffing them a little. Garnish with the remaining parsley. Enjoy!
My sister made these for our Easter Brunch and they are great. I love capers and lemon so knew this would be great. I did add some chopped peppercini and sprinkled with paparika when finsihed and they looked great and tasted better. Differant from the usual deviled eggs.
Really tangy and quite delicious over a bed of baby arugula today. (I mashed the ingredients, stirring the capers in last.) Added minced onion in not just the juice. Skipped the hot sauce but will try it next time. On no, forgot the lemon zest! Reviewed for Veg Tag/April.
Oh my !!! These are so Yummy !!! Oh how I love deviled eggs and then put capers in them and I am in heaven. I did cut the recipe in half though. The flavors of these eggs were out of this world. I used a fresh lemon plucked off our tree and it was fantastic. Didn't feel the need for any salt because of those wonderful capers. I did cut the eggs lengthwise instead only because I prefer cutting them that way. Your recipes are delicious Sharon. Thanks for sharing your recipe Sharon. Made in honor of Sharon's DH.