Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is originally Greek with a soft lemon flavor, add more lemon juice to suit your tase. Rice or fine pasta goes well with this. Try to use the dill; it gives it a nice flavor.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven, brown the chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to the chicken and pour in the boiling water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes; add the onions simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- In a dish beat the eggs, very slowly and bit by bit add the lemon juice whilst beating the eggs, it should not separate.
- To the eggs you add the cooking juices of the chicken, then you return this to the pan.
- Make sure the heat is very low, the sauce should not cook anymore, keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the dill on top.
My DH really enjoyed this! I didn't try it because I ended up with a migraine :-( and there was none left. I used boneless skiless thighs and used dried dill. I trust his taste buds and next time I will get some!
I love this recipe! I pound the chicken breasts flat before cooking. The sauce is great over brown rice. Makes a very nice company or casual meal. Even my picky teenager loves it.
my family is very picky about lemon chicken, they often find the lemon flavor too overbearing, but they all agreed that they loved this. it sort of reminded me of avgolemono soup, with the egg/lemon mixture and the sauce was lovely. i used chicken breasts and cooked it in the water for only a few minutes for the water to boil, this was a quick week night dinner.