This is from the book "The Food You Crave" by Ellie Krieger.
Make and share this Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into small chunks
- 1 pinch salt, plus more to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 t dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt, add it to the pot, and cook, stirring a few times, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and thyme and cook, stirring over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and let simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Turn the heat down to low to keep the soup hot but not boiling.
- Warm the remaining 1 cup of broth in a small saucepan until it is hot but not boiling. In a medium bowl beat the eggs. Gradually whisk the lemon juice into the eggs. Then gradually add the hot broth to the lemon-egg mixture, whisking all the while. Add the mixture to the soup, stirring well until the soup is thickened. Do not let the soup come to a boil. Add the cooked chicken to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Delicious soup, similar to the Greek one.
We all enjoyed it very much. We'll do it again. Thanks