This is from the book "The Food You Crave" by Ellie Krieger.
Make and share this Lemon Chicken Soup With Orzo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into small chunks
- 1 pinch salt, plus more to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 t dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt, add it to the pot, and cook, stirring a few times, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and thyme and cook, stirring over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and let simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Turn the heat down to low to keep the soup hot but not boiling.
- Warm the remaining 1 cup of broth in a small saucepan until it is hot but not boiling. In a medium bowl beat the eggs. Gradually whisk the lemon juice into the eggs. Then gradually add the hot broth to the lemon-egg mixture, whisking all the while. Add the mixture to the soup, stirring well until the soup is thickened. Do not let the soup come to a boil. Add the cooked chicken to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.