1/2 Photos of Lemon Chicken Stew With Green Olives
A quick trip to the Mediterranean is offered in the flavors of this simple and succulent stew. The original recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks and presented here includes my adjustments. Accompanied by steamed green beans, this is a comforting fall meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds total, if your pieces are smaller use additional pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- 2 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 lbs small red potatoes, quartered (look for potatoes about 2 inches in size)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned rinsed and drained is fine)
- 16 small pimento stuffed olives, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1Combine flour with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour, shaking of any excess. Reserve remaining flour.
- 2Place 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown 1/2 the chicken for 2 minutes until a little golden; turning and cooking another 2 minutes. Remove chicken to plate Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 3Cook onions in the Dutch oven for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute until fragrant. Stir in the remaining flour, lemon juice, chicken broth and water. Bring liquids to a boil.
- 4Add in the quartered potatoes, chickpeas and olives and stir. Nestle the chicken breasts bone side up into the stew. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- 5Taste the liquid and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Turn the chicken pieces and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- 6Stir in parsley and cook one minute.
- 7Ladle into serving bowls.
- 8(My nephews have asked me to note these are smaller "girly" portions so if you are serving teens or others with larger appetites, adjust the serving amounts accordingly).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chicken Stew With Green Olives
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.4
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 686.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento stuffed olives