Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
The original of this recipe, which I managed to tweak slightly, came from the 1995 cookbook Greek Cooking. The combinaton of these three ingredients makes this a flavorful meal.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, small, cut in thin strips
- 2 celery ribs, shredded
- 2 carrots, cut in julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- Heat oil in large saute pan, then add butter.
- When shortening begins to foam, add chicken in one layer.
- Brown, then turn over to brown on other side, cooking chicken in 2 batches, if necessary.
- Remove chicken to a plate & set aside.
- Add vegetables to saute pan & cook 2-3 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add basil, bay leaf, lemon juice & zest, water, salt & pepper, then put chicken back into saute pan, bringing mixture to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat, & allow to simmer about 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is tender & juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Remove chicken & vegetables to serving dish & discard bay leaf.
- Since the sauce should be thick when serving, boil to reduce, if necessary ~ If sauce is too tart, add a pinch of sugar.
- Spoon sauce over chicken to serve & garnish with lemon slices.
I was in a bit of a rush last nite,but really wanted to try this. It really didn't seem to take any longer than stated. Also, I was thinking I had lemons,but I DID NOT! So to make the great sounding sauce, I used lime juice instead. Didn't add the sugar but I will try it next time(Just to try-it was GREAT without). Everyone in my house was SO HAPPY they waited for me to cook this! THANKS SO MUCH!!
Loved the aroma of this chicken dish! Basil, lemon, and bay leaf-yum! The vegetables were delicious, but I think that the chicken should be checked sooner than 35 minutes as it was a bit dry. Maybe 20 minutes? Thanks Sydney Mike for posting. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag.
This chicken dish is absolutely delicious! I followed the recipe as specified including the pinch of sugar. After I reduced the sauce, I put the chicken back in the skillet and turned it a few times to coat it in the sauce, then served it drizzled with a little more sauce. The result was a moist and flavorful chicken - I love the lemon/basil combination. Thanks for posting this winner!