1/3 Photos of Lemon Chicken With Basil (Greece)
1 hr 20 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
The original of this recipe, which I managed to tweak slightly, came from the 1995 cookbook Greek Cooking. The combinaton of these three ingredients makes this a flavorful meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, small, cut in thin strips
- 2 celery ribs, shredded
- 2 carrots, cut in julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1Heat oil in large saute pan, then add butter.
- 2When shortening begins to foam, add chicken in one layer.
- 3Brown, then turn over to brown on other side, cooking chicken in 2 batches, if necessary.
- 4Remove chicken to a plate & set aside.
- 5Add vegetables to saute pan & cook 2-3 minutes over moderate heat.
- 6Add basil, bay leaf, lemon juice & zest, water, salt & pepper, then put chicken back into saute pan, bringing mixture to a boil.
- 7Cover pan, reduce heat, & allow to simmer about 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is tender & juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- 8Remove chicken & vegetables to serving dish & discard bay leaf.
- 9Since the sauce should be thick when serving, boil to reduce, if necessary ~ If sauce is too tart, add a pinch of sugar.
- 10Spoon sauce over chicken to serve & garnish with lemon slices.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chicken With Basil (Greece)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.8
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 200.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 28.1 g