1 hr 30 mins
Sarah Chana's Note:
From "A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking" by Marcy Goldman. I put it here to remind me to try it some time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely ground walnuts (or a combination of ground walnuts and ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
for the honey vanilla syrup
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Trim phyllo sheets to fit the pan you will be using (9x13) or a rectangular pan with a similar capacity, with 2.5" sides. (Don't use a nonstick pan--it will get ruined when you cut out the baklava.) Keep phyllo sheets covered with a slightly damp towel.
- 3In a bowl, stir together the butter/margarine and the oil. Drizzle a few tablespoons on the pan bottom. Center 1 sheet phyllo on the bottom of the pan. Brush generously with butter and oil. Continue layering phyllo sheets, brushing each generously, for a total of 8 sheets.
- 4Sprinkle 1/3 of the nuts over the top.
- 5Continue layering phyllo leaves this way, sprinkling with nuts after another 8 sheets, then 4 more leaves, more nuts, and the remaining leaves, always brushing each sheet generously before you place the next one in the pan.
- 6Brush the top layer with the butter/oil mixture. Using kitchen scissors or a very sharp knife, cut the pastry into diamond shapes, cutting only halfway through the pastry. (Diamond shapes are achieved by cutting 5 or 6 horizontal rows, then cutting diagonally across these rows to form diamonds).
- 7Bake for 1 hour, or until pastry is golden brown. Meanwhile, make the syrup.
- 8To make syrup: In a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients and heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature before pouring evenly over the pastry. Let the baklava sit for 1 hour or overnight before serving.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon, Vanilla and Honey Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (2301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 8185.2
- Calories from Fat 4257
- Total Fat 473.0 g
- Saturated Fat 151.7 g
- Cholesterol 488.0 mg
- Sodium 2245.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 981.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.5 g
- Sugars 711.6 g
- Protein 71.0 g