1 hr 20 mins
Cypriot Cook's Note:
A healthy mediterranean recipe from Cyprus, requiring only lentils, rice, onions, oil and vinegar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean the lentils with fresh cold water to avoid foaming when cooking.
- 2Mix 2 cups of lentils with the 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- 3Heat on high, uncovered for approximately 30 minutes, mixing slightly every 10 minutes, removing any foam that may have come up.
- 4After the lentils turn tender and soft (not melted), make sure there is only about 2 cups of water remaining (add or remove water).
- 5Add the half cup of rice. Cook for 10 mins at medium fire.
- 6Simultaneously with the rice, fry the chopped cup of onion in the olive oil and vegetable oil until golden brown (should be about 10 minutes).
- 7After the 10 minutes pass, slowly pour the oil and onion over the lentils and rice. Lower the heat to Low, and let it lay for 10 minutes (do NOT mix).
- 8After the 10 minutes pass, add the quarter cup of vinegar and mix everything.
- 9Cover with a thick clean kitchen towel and leave covered for about 10 minutes.
- 10After the 15 minutes pass, you should have a thick pilaf of lentils and rice, with onions showing up here and there.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.5
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1174.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 7.3 g