1 hr 35 mins
I created this light version of Greek Ground Beef Roll by evelyn/athens as a way to enjoy this wonderful meal without having to feel guilty about the fat and calories. While the original recipe was 14 WW pts for 1/6th of a roll, the light version now comes to 5 pts for 1/6th of a roll. A huge improvement in my book. To get a thicker sauce you can use fat-free half and half, but that may raise the points value.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef, no more than 7% fat
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 30 sheets phyllo dough
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1Heat large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and meat and cook breaking up meat until all liquid eaporates and meat is browned. Add garlic and spinach. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Whisk together nugmeg, cinnamon, thyme, flour and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in egg. Place over medium heat and contine to stir for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- 3Heat butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and stir until golden-brown.
- 4Stir sauce, pine nuts and cheese into meat. Season with salt and pepper and cool.
- 5OAMC: The meat mix may be frozen at this point for later use. To use, thaw overnight in the fridge before proceeding with the remaining directions.
- 6Preheat ove to 350.
- 7Lightly grease rimmed baking sheet. Cover work surface with a towel.
- 8Place 1 phyllo sheet on towel with long edge nearest you. Spray with butter spray. Add 1 sheet of phyllo. Sray with buttter spray. Continue until 10 sheets are layered.
- 9Spread 1/3 of cooled meat mixture on phyllo leaving 1 1/2 inch border. Using the towel as an aid, roll the phyllo lengthwise.
- 10Transfer, seam side down to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mix and phyllo. Spray tops with butter spray.
- 11The roll may be frozen at this stage as well. Wrap in foil and freeze. Do not thaw before baking.
- 12Bake until crisp and golden, about 50-60 minutes. If cooking from frozen may require an additional 10 minutes of baking. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "light" Greek Ground Beef Roll
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 256.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.2 g