1/2 Photos of Linda's Rice And/Or Orzo Pilaf Greek Style
1 hr 25 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This pilaf is creamy and delicious and packed with flavor. Serve with any main meat dish, or your favorite Greek kabobs, and you'll be in for a treat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 1/2 cups long-grain rice or 4 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, torn into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 15 kalamata olives, diced
- 1 -2 cup feta, depending on how much you like
- 1To Make Chicken Stock:.
- 2In a large pot add the chicken, whole lemon, and 8 cups of water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook for 1 hour, until the chicken is very tender.
- 3Remove chicken from the pot, and set aside. (Chicken can be frozen to use at another time).
- 4Skim fat off stock. When the stock cools sufficiently, strain into a bowl.
- 5To Make Rice: (use 4.5 cups of the chicken stock).
- 6Measure out 4 1/2 cups of the stock, and pour into a large pot. Add 8 cups of hot (tap) water, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 7When the rice/orzo starts to boil, add the rice/orzo, and stir frequently to keep from sticking.
- 8When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 9In The Meantime:.
- 10In a small skillet, heat the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter over high heat, until it sizzles.
- 11Lift the cover to the rice, and quickly pour in the hot butter and close the cover quickly, as it will spatter.
- 12When the sizzling stops (a few seconds), remove the cover, and stir briefly. Remove from heat.
- 13Allow to sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- 14The pilaf is supposed to be smooth and creamy, and slightly mushy.
- 15To Prepare Other Rice Ingredients to add to rice once it is cooked:.
- 16In a large frying pan pour olive oil, then add onions, and saute over medium heat, until just softened.
- 17Add the garlic, mint, and pepper. Saute for about 2 more minutes.
- 18Add spinach, lemon juice, tomatoes, dill, and tomatoes. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- 19Add to rice, and mix.
- 20Just before serving add Feta cheese.
- 21Note: Add more lemon, if needed at serving time.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's Rice And/Or Orzo Pilaf Greek Style
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.1
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 114.1 mg
- Sodium 353.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 31.9 g