1/4 Photos of Lovely “spanakotiropitakia”
This is a new version of the Greek spinach and cheese pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 200 g leeks, sliced
- 500 g spinach or 500 g swiss chard, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 tablespoon a teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon mint, fresh and chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (reserve 2 tablespoons for topping)
- 200 g feta, broken
- 1Fry the onion in the olive oil until translucent, add the leek and keep aside.
- 2In the meanwhile blanch the spinach or Swiss chard. Cool under current water and squeeze out the water.
- 3Add all the ingredients for the filling (reserve 2 tablespoons egg for the topping) and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Divide into 12 portions.
- 4Mix all the ingredients for the crust together adding the last spoons water only if necessary one by one. Kneet until a nice dough forms.
- 5Roll out the dough 45 to 60 cm (18 to 24 inch).
- 6Cut into 12 squares of 15 cm (6 inch), reserve little dough for decoration if you like.
- 7Insert the fist square into muffin mold. Spoon in a portion of filling. Close first the opposite angles and then the next ones. Fix brushing some of the reserved beaten egg.
- 8Repeat for all muffins.
- 9For decoration you can use the rest of the dough (for example cutting off small hearths), nigella or sesame seeds if desired.
- 10Bake 35-40 minutes at 180°C (350 °F) or until golden and through (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- 11Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional Facts for Lovely “spanakotiropitakia”
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.1
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 137.5 mg
- Sodium 998.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 21.3 g