Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve hot or serve cold on lettuce leaves. Garnish with paprika, thin slices of lemon and green olives.
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 2 cups grated romano cheese (fresh grated) or 2 cups grated kefalotiri (fresh grated)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot, bring water and salt to a rapid boil; add macaroni.
- Stir a few times with a fork; boil macaroni until al dente according to package directions (7-9 minutes).
- Drain macaroni well and return to pot.
- Mix oregano, garlic powder and flour into melted butter.
- Stir butter into pasta, cover, and keep warm.
- Beat eggs until frothy.
- Add pepper, cinnamon, and milk, and beat until well mixed.
- Place half of the macaroni in a 9x12-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover macaroni with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add another layer of macaroni.
- Gently pour egg/milk mixture over macaroni, making sure macaroni is well covered.
- On top of this add a thick layer of cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is bubbly and light brown.