Serve hot or serve cold on lettuce leaves. Garnish with paprika, thin slices of lemon and green olives.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups warm milk
- 2 cups grated romano cheese (fresh grated) or 2 cups grated kefalotiri (fresh grated)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large pot, bring water and salt to a rapid boil; add macaroni.
- 3Stir a few times with a fork; boil macaroni until al dente according to package directions (7-9 minutes).
- 4Drain macaroni well and return to pot.
- 5Mix oregano, garlic powder and flour into melted butter.
- 6Stir butter into pasta, cover, and keep warm.
- 7Beat eggs until frothy.
- 8Add pepper, cinnamon, and milk, and beat until well mixed.
- 9Place half of the macaroni in a 9x12-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 10Cover macaroni with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 11Add another layer of macaroni.
- 12Gently pour egg/milk mixture over macaroni, making sure macaroni is well covered.
- 13On top of this add a thick layer of cheese.
- 14Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is bubbly and light brown.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makaronia Pastitsio (Greek Creamed Macaroni and Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.0
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 870.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 12.8 g