Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This came from my mom after I begged for the recipe. Can me made a day ahead, I think it gets better the longer it sits.
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1 lb feta
- 6 -7 ounces kalamata olives (about 6.5 oz of actual olives)
- 12 -16 ounces Baby Spinach
- 10 -15 large basil leaves (can leave out)
- 1⁄2-1 whole red onion, diced (add as much as you like)
- 5 fresh mint leaves (can leave out)
- 1 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup olive oil (I put 1/2c of olive oil and 1/2c of the oil from the olive jar)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Prepare salad dressing.
- Roll the basil and mint into a cigar like roll and slice thin as you can.
- Dice the red onion.
- Cook the orzo until it is al dente, about 9 minutes and drain.
- While it is still hot stir in the salad dressing, then 1/2 of the crumbled feta.
- Next stir in the spinache, mint/basil, olives and red onions. You do not need to chop the spnache as the heat from the pasta will wilt it.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours, or even better over night.
- Before you serve it, stir in the remaining feta and re-adjust the salt and pepper. If it seems a little dry add some olive oil.
- Note: Go light on the salt as the feta is salty and you will be adding feta at 2 different times.
This is hubby's new favourite pasta salad! I did make some changes: I felt there was too much dressing, so once I doubled the pasta and kept the amount of dressing the same and once I halved the dressing but kept the pasta amount the same. I also added about 200 g of grape tomatoes and a minced garlic to the dressing. Very nice for potlucks.