Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adaptation of "Semolina cake soaked with lemon syrup" from "A Baker's Tour" cookbook. The semolina cake was originally from Greece & called "Revani". When I saw you could substitute the semolina for cream of wheat, I figured my malt-o-meal would work just as well. I had maple brown sugar malt-o-meal & we loved it so much, I don't think I will ever be able to make it any other way. If you don't have that kind of malt-o-meal, I would imagine you can incorporate those flavors in the syrup that is drizzled on top. This cake was gone in 2 hours. We really liked it & I hope you will too.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal (maple & brown sugar flavor)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 5 tablespoons butter (melted & cooled)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix eggs and 1/2 cup sugar together on medium high speed until pale & thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in the brandy and melted butter.
- In separate bowl, mix together the other 1/2 cup sugar, the malt-o-meal & sour cream and baking soda together.
- Fold the malt-o-meal mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into 9x13 pan. Bake 350 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes. While cake is cooling, stir together water, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice in pan over medium heat. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Poke holes in the cake with small knife. Sprinkle syrup mixture over cake, by the spoonful. (*note; if your malt-o-meal isnt flavored, you can double the syrup, or you can replace syrup mixture with maple syrup).
- Cool completely & serve.