1 hr 5 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is for a version of the classic Spanish dessert that is Sephardic Jewish and served at my local Italian restaurant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of the sugar with the water over high heat. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is a caramel color and is fragrant. Do not let it get too dark or it will taste bitter.
- 2Very carefully pour the caramel into the bottom of a 1 qt flan mold or 6 caramel cups. Swirl quickly to coat the bottoms and sides.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Place almonds into a food processor with 1/4 cup of the remaining sugar and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- 5In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar. Add the orange juice, zest almonds and mix well.
- 6Pour the mixture in to your prepared baking mold or cups and place into a larger baking pan. Add hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the mold or cups. Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
- 7Bake until a knife inserted into the center emerges clean, 35-40 minutes for the custard cups and 1 hour for the mold. Remove from the oven, then remove from the baking pan. Let cool a bit then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled.
- 8To serve, run a thin knife around each flan and invert onto individual plates or one large plate. Spoon the caramel that flows onto the plates over the top. Garnish with orange segments.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Zuquinis Flan D'arancia (Orange Custard)
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.1
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 221.3 mg
- Sodium 88.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 58.7 g
- Protein 8.7 g