1 hr 30 mins
“The simplicity of Greek cuisine forces the use of fresh, flavorful ingredients, which then become the focus of the dish, rather than complex preparations and cooking techniques. At Trata” says owner Chris Georgou, “we want to introduce and expose ingredients that are not well known outsideof Greece. For instance, while everyone knows Feta cheese, Manouri cheese is not as well known, and we use it exclusively in our cheesecake recipe.” - Chef Chris Georgou of Trata. Prep time is a guess, Cook time is an approximation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cheesecake
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 ounces graham crackers
- 4 cups manouri cheese
- 6 whole eggs
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
For the poached peaches
- 5 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and halved
- 15 greek dried figs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups greek sweet wine, such as Mavrodaphne
For the sesame cigar
- 1Combine the melted butter and ground graham crackers on the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan and chill.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer whisk together all the.
- 4remaining ingredients for the cheesecake.
- 5Pour into the chilled springform pan and bake until set, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 6While the cheesecake is baking, make the fruit topping: Poach the peaches and figs in the wine together with the spices until the figs soften.
- 7Remove peaches and figs with a slotted spoon and strain the liquid.
- 8Put back into a pot and simmer until reduced to a loose syrup consistency. Place the fruit back into the reduced wine.
- 9Make the cigars: Place the first phyllo sheet in front of you, brush with butter and sprinkle with half the nut and sesame seed.
- 11Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon and roll up along the horizontal end very tightly to get a thin cylinder.
- 12Repeat with the second sheet and nut-sesame-seed mixture.
- 13Bake on a buttered sheet pan until crisp and golden, remove, cool, and, using a serrated knife cut into 8 equal pieces.
- 14When the cheesecake is set and golden, remove and cool.
- 15Remove from the springform pan and cut into 8 slices.
- 16To serve: top with the peach-wine mixture and garnish with a phyllo cigar.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manouri Cheesecake With Wine Poached Peaches and Phyllo Cigars
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 932.3
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 259.1 mg
- Sodium 480.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 86.3 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns