Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a wonderful way to fix chicken breasts so they are healthy but still taste good. The chicken turns out very moist thanks to the marinating time. Basil, known to ancient Greeks as the royal herb, adds a bright summery flavor to this Mediterranean-influenced dish. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup bottled clear Italian salad dressing (such as Newman's Own)
- 1 1⁄3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1⁄3 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup broccoli floret, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 -10 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- Put chicken in a ziptop bag and add dressing.
- Marinate in refrigerator 2-6 hours, turning bag occasionally to coat.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
- Add uncooked rice.
- Return to boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Stir broccoli and scallions into rice.
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- In a nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, turning once, or until no longer pink at centers.
- Heat broiler.
- Lay basil leaves on breast halves in skillet.
- Arrange tomato slices over basil leaves, overlapping as necessary.
- Top each with a half-slice of cheese.
- Broil 3-4 inches from heat about 1 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with rice and broccoli.
Excellent, healthy meal that's quit simple to make!! I used Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix and added the package mix that comes with the rice and added the broccoli and scallops immediately to steam the veggies. Mmmm! 5-stars!!