Comfort food.I posted this for the tour 2005 made it tonight and made some adjustments.
Make and share this Meat and Macaroni Pie - Pastitsio recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked al dente or 1 lb ziti pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chopped meat (lamb or beef)
- 14 ounces diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pitted olive, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Toss pasta with 1 tablespoon oil and garlic powder.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic in a 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the meat and brown.
- Add the tomatoes ,tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano and parsley. Simmer until cooked through and the mixture has the consistency of a sauce.
- Using a greased oven proof dish, layer the cooked spaghetti and the meat mixture in the dish.
- Heat the butter, flour in microwave oven to make a paste about 30 seconds.
- Whisk eggs into milk. Add to roux and whisk to mix together. Micro 2 minutes. Whisk and micro 2 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in grated cheddar cheese. Pour over the casserole. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350°F.