2 hrs 25 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Another recipe adapted from "The Glorious Foods of Greece," I changed it a bit to reduce the fat content (so to allow for all the butter). Prep time includes an hour for the meatball mixture to rest in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice, raw
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
For the Leeks
- 1Make the Meatballs:.
- 2Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and knead well.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- 4When ready to cook them, shape into golf ball sized portions (around 30).
- 5Place a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 6Add the meatballs and brown them on all sides; do this in batches (do not over-cook, they will cook further with the leeks).
- 7Remove meat to a plate and pour off all the accumulated fat in the skillet.
- 8Reduce heat to low, add 4 tablespoons of butter and scrape up any bits of fond.
- 9Add the leeks and celery and slowly saute, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes.
- 10Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- 11Add the meatballs and stir everything together.
- 12Add just enough water to come about two thirds of the way up the meatballs.
- 13Cover and simmer over very low heat for about an hour, checking occasionally to make sure there is sufficient liquid to prevent scorching.
- 14If you like (it does add amazing richness to the dish), swirl two tablespoons of butter in the pan, tipping it to distribute the butter throughout the meat and leeks.
- 15Remove from heat, rest briefly, and serve.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs Simmered With Leeks (Keftedes Prassoselino)
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.3
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 208.2 mg
- Sodium 213.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 30.9 g