Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is great served with Baked Chicken Kapama or any Greek lamb entree.Pasta and three cheeses combine in a phyllo-topprd casserole.From a February 1984 issue of Bin Appetit that featured A Feast of Heritage Dishes-Greek Dinner for 12.
- 2 cups butter, melted (4 sticks)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup mizithra cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups milk
- fresh ground white pepper
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush 9x13-inch baking dish with some of melted butter.
- Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until tender;drain well.
- Mix with half of remaining melted butter in a large bowl.
- Toss with cheeses.
- Blend in eggs,milk and pepper.
- Spoon into prepared dish.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated.If refrigerated, bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Cover dish with phyllo, brushing each sheet with some of remaining butter.
- Score top 3 sheets with tip of sharp knife.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees and bake 35 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.