Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was looking for some new burgers to try this summer and this one caught my eye -- from Sunset magazine.
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 other sandwich buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1⁄4 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- In a bowl, combine feta cheese, oregano, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, and the lemon zest.
- Add ground meat and mix gently.
- Form into four 1-in.-thick patties.
- In a blender, whirl olives, dill, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoons at a time, to make a smooth paste.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot
- Grill burgers, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through (cut to test), 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Split rolls and toast cut sides on the grill.
- Brush toasted sides with remaining 1 tablespoons olive oil and spread each with about 1 teaspoons of the olive spread.
- Top with burgers, tomato, cucumber, red onion, and romaine.