1/2 Photos of Mediterranean Eggplant (Aubergine) Cakes
A lovely vegetarian appetizer. I always sweat my eggplants before making this, to remove the bitter juices. I find it has a better flavor that way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant, sliced in 1/2 " slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg white, beaten (you may need more if you have a large eggplant)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (prefer white)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces feta cheese (can omit, to make healthier)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 green onions
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Brush eggplant slices evenly with olive oil.
- 3Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- 4Remove from oven, and finely dice the eggplant slices.
- 5In a medium bowl, combine the chopped eggplant pieces with the garlic, egg whites, parmesan, feta, breadcrumbs, basil and parsley and green onions.
- 6Add the salt and pepper in quantities at your discretion.
- 7Mix everything well and place in the refrigerator 20min to firm up.
- 8(Note: add this stage you may adjust the mixture by adding more breadcrumbs if it does not hold well together).
- 9Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal portions, and shape into a flattened ball.
- 10Coat with flour.
- 11Fry the fritters in shallow oil for 2 mins on either side, till they are golden brown.
- 12Serve with a salad, lemon wedges and a yoghurt sauce to dip into, if preferred.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Eggplant (Aubergine) Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.8
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.6 mg
- Sodium 985.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 21.6 g