Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you love colored peppers (like me), this salad is for you! It is from a favorite cookbook of mine called 500 All Time Great Recipes. Notice how you make this ahead by 3 hours. Some people like lots of lemon and others not, so taste test it to meet your family's preferences. I did reduce the olive oil slightly.
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, DIVIDED
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- lemon juice, generous squeeze
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Broil the pepper halves for about 5 minutes, until the skin has blistered and blackened.
- Pop them into a plastic bag, seal and leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for about 5-6 minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Take the peppers out of the bag and peel off the skins.
- Discard the pepper skins and slice each pepper half into fairly thin strips.
- Place the peppers, cooked onions, and any oil from the pan in a bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic, pepper, salt; pour in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, add a generous squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste.
- Mix well, cover and marinate for 2-3 hours, stirring the mixture once or twice.
- Just before serving, garnish the pepper salad with chopped fresh parsley.
Simple recipes are often the best - this gets a nice boost from roasting the peppers, which are so pretty. I actually used a red and orange. My olive oil was just a tad strong, something to remember for next time. Thanks.
The pepper salad was wonderful.
I prepared the recipe with 6 bell peppers that I've grilled directly in the firing place. I used little less olive oil and for the rest like in the recipe. My family and my guests loved it!
I%u2019ve served this with barbecued chicken, Garlic Walnut Dip Garlic Walnut Dip by Rita~ and baked potatoes.
Prepared for Veggie Swap 29 ~ December 2010 ~ Official Swap Thread
This is a yummy pepper salad! I halved the recipe and used less onion than called for. I used a pretty good amount of lemon juice and enjoyed the fresh flavor it provided. Thanks for sharing this recipe!