If you love colored peppers (like me), this salad is for you! It is from a favorite cookbook of mine called 500 All Time Great Recipes. Notice how you make this ahead by 3 hours. Some people like lots of lemon and others not, so taste test it to meet your family's preferences. I did reduce the olive oil slightly.
- Broil the pepper halves for about 5 minutes, until the skin has blistered and blackened.
- Pop them into a plastic bag, seal and leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for about 5-6 minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Take the peppers out of the bag and peel off the skins.
- Discard the pepper skins and slice each pepper half into fairly thin strips.
- Place the peppers, cooked onions, and any oil from the pan in a bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic, pepper, salt; pour in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, add a generous squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste.
- Mix well, cover and marinate for 2-3 hours, stirring the mixture once or twice.
- Just before serving, garnish the pepper salad with chopped fresh parsley.