Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Love to entertain and recently was given Martha Stewart’s Hor D’Oeuvres Handbook. Most people eat first with their eyes and Martha's fantabulous dishes offer a visual feast. This original recipe was modeled on her approach to food both in look and flavor. You can simplify the making of these Greek inspired treats by simply quartering the pita bread or using the small ones. Either way, its a treat.
- 8 large pita breads
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 16 kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves removed (Greek oregano is even better)
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and halve grape tomatoes and mix in shallow baking dish with coarse salt and olive oil. Bake 35 minutes until roasted. You can do this the day before if you like.
- Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut mini pizza crusts out of the pita bread. You should get about 4 mini pizzas per pita. Place pitas on cookie sheet. Top with tomato halves, olives and a leaf or two of oregano. Crumble feta cheese on top. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted. The pitas will be crisp. Serve from the oven or at room temperature.
- If you like garlic, wrap a whole unpeeled head of garlic in aluminum foil and roast with the tomatoes. When done the garlic will be very tender and easily squeeze out of the skin. Mash the roasted garlic and mix with a tablespoon of yogurt cheese or cream cheese. Spread a very thin layer on the bread before assembling pizza.
This was easy and delicious! I used whole grain tortillas for the crust and tomatoes from the garden. A quick supper! Thanks Toni! Made for the Iron Chef game.
Awesome pizzas! So easy and so yummy! Thanks for posting!!
We had these for lunch this weekend and really loved them. I made half of them with the roasted garlic and cream cheese and the other half without thinking the three year old wouldn't like the garlic. Both were great! The little guy like the one with the garlic cream cheese after all!!! The only thing I did was to use flatbread instead of pita because that is what i had on hand. Thanks toni!