Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 17 mins
- 12 large ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 fluid ounces white wine
- 6 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- 2 fluid ounces water
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Wash the tomatoes then turn each one stem side down, and with a sharp knife cut the end to make an opening, leaving a"cap" on the tomatoes.
- With a small spoon, scoop the pulp out of the tomatoes into a bowl.
- Place the tomato shells in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the inside of the shells with salt and sugar.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions.
- Cook over low heat until the onions are soft then add the garlic and parsley, and blend.
- Add the meat, the wine and water.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and tomato pulp and stir.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 7 minutes, then add salt, pepper, mint and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat, and fill the tomatoes up two thirds of the way with the stuffing and liquid.
- Cover with the tomato caps and brush each one with oil.
- Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes.