Rachael Ray's first veggie burger recipe - ever! These can be made vegan by leaving out the egg and cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms, all porcini (1 small handful) or 1/3 cup mixed mushrooms (1 small handful)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (for nuttier burgers) or 1 1/2 cups cooked cold couscous (for softer burgers)
- 1 cup drained chickpeas
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (or sliced almonds)
- 1/4 cup currants or 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- 1 egg
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- ciabatta or other crusty roll, split and lightly toasted
- arugula, dressed lightly with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil
- 1Combine ketchup ingredients in a small pot and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer to thicken to the consistency of ketchup, 15-20 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add carrot, onions and mushrooms, and sauté to tender. Add thyme and garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook a minute or 2 more then turn off heat and cool.
- 3To a food processor bowl, add a few pieces of dried mushrooms. Process to finely chop then add lentils, quinoa or couscous, chickpeas, nuts and raisins. Season with salt and pepper and add cooled, cooked vegetables. Pulse until well combined. Add egg and pulse a few more times. Form 6 patties.
- 4Heat remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook 5-6 minutes. Flip burgers, cook 2-3 minutes more, add cheese and tent pan with tin foil to melt cheese, 1-2 minutes. Serve on rolls with greens and Italian ketchup.
- 6For a vegan burger, omit egg -- be gentle when flipping burgers so they don't fall apart and omit cheese.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Veggie Burgers With Provolone and Italian Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.3 mg
- Sodium 612.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.7 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 36.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: