1/4 Photos of Melitzanes Moussaka
Sue Lau's Note:
From Tess Mallos, eggplant moussaka from Greece. TNT
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Meat Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Cream Sauce
- 1Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices with skin on. Sprinkle slices with salt and set in a colander to drain in the sink for 1 hour. Pat eggplant dry and set aside.
- 2Fry eggplant slices in a little oil until browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat and brown, stirring well. Add remaining sauce ingredients to meat, and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- 4Melt butter in skillet, and whick in flour. Cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk all at once and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 1 minute more.
- 5Remove cream sauce from heat, and stir in nutmeg or cinnamon, 1 tbsp of cheese, and salt and pepper to your taste.
- 6Oil the bottom of a large square casserole or baking dish. Layer eggplant across the bottom. Top with half the meat sauce, layer again with eggplant, add rest of meat sauce, and finish with the remaining eggplant.
- 7Stir the beaten egg into the cream sauce and spread over eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 8Bake in preheated 350F oven for about an hour.
- 9Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melitzanes Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.4
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.5 mg
- Sodium 582.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: