Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From Tess Mallos, eggplant moussaka from Greece. TNT
Make and share this Melitzanes Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs eggplants
- olive oil, as needed
For the Meat Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Cream Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup grated kasseri cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices with skin on. Sprinkle slices with salt and set in a colander to drain in the sink for 1 hour. Pat eggplant dry and set aside.
- Fry eggplant slices in a little oil until browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat and brown, stirring well. Add remaining sauce ingredients to meat, and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Melt butter in skillet, and whick in flour. Cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk all at once and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 1 minute more.
- Remove cream sauce from heat, and stir in nutmeg or cinnamon, 1 tbsp of cheese, and salt and pepper to your taste.
- Oil the bottom of a large square casserole or baking dish. Layer eggplant across the bottom. Top with half the meat sauce, layer again with eggplant, add rest of meat sauce, and finish with the remaining eggplant.
- Stir the beaten egg into the cream sauce and spread over eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for about an hour.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Time consuming but worth it! Made the recipe as is but I guess I should have used PAM to cut out on the fats. But then again, I used olive oil which is no cholesterol. It's not too saucy and the taste is just superb! I asked DH why he likes this, he said he doesn't know, just is. Probably coz the eggplants have been fried? No, it's not just that, the meat itself is delicious too! And the eggplants didn't come out too oily once baked. Fantastic recipe, Sue! Thanks! Made for WZT4.
I have tried to like eggplant, really I have, I don't know what it is about it but no matter what kind of yummy stuff I try to smother it with, I just don't like it. My husband liked it though
This is EXCELLENT! This was my first time making Moussaka and it was time consuming but ended up being well worth it! I used 2 thin chinese eggplants which weren't quite enough but it worked out anyways. I spray oiled the eggplant slices and baked them at 400F for 20 minutes. In the meat sauce I used: a white onion, 1lb lean ground beef a 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, vermouth and Splenda. In the cream sauce I used: whole wheat flour, 1 percent milk, nutmeg and parmesan. This still was rich and flavorful. My husband said it tasted like the Holidays. Made for the Potluck tag game.