Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
"Eggplant salad with tomatoes and onions is a snapping opening dish with a vinegary edge" was the way this salad was reviewed in the New Yorker Magazine with reference to their first course for dinner. There was only one problem - they didn't publish the recipe! So I looked and found this on Greekcuisine.com. It lived up to my expectations so am sharing this with you.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash eggplants, pierce all over with the tines of a fork place in baking dish or pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until soft.
- Allow skin to turn black so as to give a smokey flavour.
- Skin eggplants while hot and chop.
- Continue chopping while slowly adding the onion, garlic, tomatoes, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place in salad bowl and garnish with black olives and green pepper rings.
- Serve with roast meat, grilled or fried fish, on slices of warm crusty French bread or as an appetizer with pita wedges.