This fun assortment of flavorful nibbles is ideal for summer entertaining. End the meal with frozen yogurt or a fruit salad of halved fresh cherries and pieces of watermelon. BonAppetit Magazine, August 2009 edition. The cumputer has been playing gmaes with me, please forgive the headings in the directions. ;)
- 16 ounces garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 16 cooked large shrimp (peeled deveined, tails intact)
- 16 unpitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon packed finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄2 unpeeled English cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (preferably Greek-style) or 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt, whisked to loosen (preferably Greek-style)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon mint
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 4 -6 pita breads
- Place 1 tablespoon garbanzo beans in small bowl and reserve for garnish.
- Combine remaining garbanzo beans, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, cumin, and 1 teaspoon paprika in processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to small bowl; season to taste with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper flakes for that extra kick.
- Sprinkle reserved garbanzo beans over.
- (* DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.).
- Drizzle hummus lightly with oil and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- SHRIMP, OLIVES AND TOMATO SALAD:.
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and toss to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (** DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- CUCUMBER, YOGURT, & FETA SALAD.
- Arrange cucumber slices on plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon yogurt over.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and oregano.
- (*** DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Place marinated artichokes in small bowl.
- Arrange bowls of hummus, shrimp salad, and artichokes and plate with cucumber salad on large platter.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Toast pita breads in toaster, then cut into wedges; arrange pita wedges on platter with salads and serve.