Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe jumps with flavor and smells awesome! An easy, 30 min meal from Rachael Ray. My family loved this!!!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 fresh bay leaf (I used dried)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried fruits (I used dates and apricots)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3⁄4 cup pitted mixed olive, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and add chicken. Brown 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain leaving a small amount of oil in pan.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, bay leaf and season with spices, salt and pepper to pan. Cook 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in fruits, add lemon zest, olives and 2 1/2 c stock.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and turn off heat. Remove bay leaf.
- While chicken simmers, melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add nuts and lightly toast for a few minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 c stock and bring up to a boil then stir in couscous. Stir and cover. Let stand 5 minute.
- Serve chicken over couscous and garnish with parsley.
- This rocks!
This is a wonderful dish. I really enjoy the flavor.
My daughter made this for my husband and me last week. She used chicken breasts instead of thighs, and substituted dried cherries for the apricots. We also had to skimp on the lemon juice. Even with all of the substituting and shortages it was delicious. The spices were sweet and savory and a real surprise. The couscous was super good with the crunch of almonds and pine nuts. Try it when your taste buds beg for something a little out of the ordinary!