Cook1 hr 15 mins
Versions of this are cooked in many parts of the Mediterranean area--Greece, West Asia and North Africa. Before juicing, I microwave the lemons about 20 seconds to increase the amount of juice. If you prefer, oregano can be substituted for the mint.
- In a large pan, saute the chopped onion in 2 Tbs oil until golden.
- Add the turmeric, split peas and 5 cups water; bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine the lamb and grated onion. Shape into walnut-sized balls with your hands.
- Add meatballs to the pan and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cover and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Mix rice flour with 1 cup cold water to make a smooth paste. Slowly add the paste to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook over low heat 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic in 1 Tbsp oil in a small skillet until golden. Stir in mint and remove from heat.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir a little bit into the beaten eggs, then stir the eggs back into the soup.
- Sprinkle the garlic and mint over the top of soup before serving. Serve hot.