1/2 Photos of Milopitakia (Greek Apple-Filled Cookies)
1 hr 35 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
These sound yummy! Untried by me, posted for ZWT. Adapted from "Vefa's Kitchen". Note that prep time includes chilling time for the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 4 -5 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- butter, for greasing pans
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 2Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Cut in the diced butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Lightly stir in the yogurt, mixing until the dough just begins to come together (it should feel crumbly). Don't knead the dough, just gather all the crumbs and press them into a ball with your hands.
- 4Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 6While dough is chilling, put the apples, lemon juice and superfine sugar in a small pan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in all the remaining filling ingredients (spices and walnuts).
- 8Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F. Grease two large baking sheets with butter.
- 9Divide the dough into 30 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then press your thumb into the ball to form a large hollow. Spoon the filling mixture into the hollows and press dough around it to seal it inches.
- 10Very gently press the filled cookies down to flatten them out a bit, but not so much that your filling leaks out. Place the balls on the baking sheets, seam side down, and bake them for about 35 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- 11Remove cookies from oven. Sift confectioners sugar and cinnamon over warm cookies, then allow to cool.
- 12Cookies keep for about 3 days at room temperature, or they can be frozen for several months.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milopitakia (Greek Apple-Filled Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (1756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 16.2 mg
- Sodium 239.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: