This Greek Recipe is from Gulf Coast Kitchens, and boy it is delicious! Very easy to make and yet really impressive. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 3 cups ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olive
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ouzo (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- minced parsley (to garnish)
- Warm the olive oil over medium-low heat in a skillet;
- cook the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in the oil until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, olives, capers and oregano; raise the heat just until the mixture rebring just to a boil; cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the ouzo, basil leaves and shrimp, then immediately spoon the mixture into four shallow individual casseroles.
- Top each casserole with crumbled feta and place them under the broiler until the shrimp are just pink and the cheese is browned, about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley and serve immediately with hot crusty bread for dipping.