1/2 Photos of Mini Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pies)
This is from Cooking Light. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks really good and hopefully is a good substitute for the higher calorie version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Filling
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
For the Remaining Ingredients
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2To prepare filling, place spinach in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Place over medium heat; cook until spinach wilts. Place the spinach mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist. Combine the spinach and cheeses in a bowl; set aside.
- 3Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green onions; sauté for 2 minutes or until soft. Stir the green onions and the next 5 ingredients (green onions through 2 egg whites) into spinach mixture.
- 4Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 egg white in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, cut each sheet lengthwise into 4 (3 1/2-inch-wide) strips; lightly brush phyllo sheet with egg mixture (cover the remaining phyllo dough to keep it from drying). Spoon about 1 tablespoon spinach mixture onto one end of each strip. Fold one corner of the opposite end over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end of strip.
- 5Place triangles, seam sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pies)
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.3
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 150.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 2.4 g