This is my mom's recipe for Spanakopita. She makes it with more feta than spinach, just the way I like it. (I made the spanakopita in the picture with my friend Seth in my dorm's kitchen.)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (Thawed and squeezed dry of liquid)
- 1 (8 ounce) package feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 egg
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets (9X13)
- Mix all ingredients well in bowl except Butter and Phyllo.
- Butter 4 Phyllo sheets and stack together.
- Place 1/3 of filling mixture in a long roll along the long edge of the Phyllo Sheet.
- Roll in log form.
- Cut log into 6 pieces.
- Place in buttered 9X13 pan.
- Repeat twice as above.
- Butter all the pieces with the remaining butter.
- Bake in a 350F oven uncovered until golden brown or approximately 20 to 25 minute.
Excellent! Even my "I don't like Spanakopita" hubby ate two helpings. A definite keeper and thanks for sharing.
I have made these twice- absolutely fantastic! The perfect blend of cheese and spinach. Very easy to make.
These were excellent!