1/1 Photo of Moussaka
1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium eggplants, peeled sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lbs ground lamb, browned and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Brown eggplant slices in olive oil (or, spray with olive oil and bake@350* for 10-12 minutes).
- 2Heat 4 tbs oil and cook onions and garlic until golden.
- 3Add browned lamb and cook together to blend flavors.
- 4Combine wine, tomato paste, cinnamon, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 5Stir into meat and simmer, stirring frequently until all the liquid is absorbed.
- 6Preheat oven to 375°F Prepare topping.
- 7Melt butter, add flour mixing well.
- 8Add hot milk, stirring constantly until thick and smooth.
- 9Remove from heat, cool slightly, stir in beaten egg, nutmeg and ricotta.
- 10Grease a casserole dish and sprinkle the bottom with bread crumbs.
- 11Arrange alternate layers of eggplant and meat mixture, sprinkling each layer with bread crumbs and grated Parmesan.
- 12Top with the cheese custard.
- 13Bake 1 hour or until top is puffy and golden brown.
- 14Cool 20-30 minutes before serving.
- 15Serves 8.
- 16This can be frozen uncooked.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (653 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 977.8
- Calories from Fat 642
- Total Fat 71.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.8 g
- Cholesterol 278.5 mg
- Sodium 641.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 43.0 g