1 hr 30 mins
An easy and authenic version of a Greek favorite. This recipe is from my long time friend Dana.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs zucchini or 2 lbs eggplants or 2 lbs potatoes, in any combination, not of each
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
BECHAMEL SAUCE TOPPING
- 1Slice vegetables and fry in olive oil until slightly brown.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Saute meat, onion, and garlic in butter.
- 4Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and add 1 egg, beaten, and bread crumbs.
- 6Prepare BECHAMEL SAUCE by melting the butter and adding the flour salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 7Gradually add the milk and cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- 8Remove from heat and add cheeses and 2 slightly beaten eggs to sauce.
- 9Assemble in a deep 9x12 baking dish by layering vegetables and meat mixture, to make 4 layers.
- 10Top with the Bechamel sauce and bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka, Aunt Dana Style
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.5
- Calories from Fat 558
- Total Fat 62.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.5 mg
- Sodium 1563.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 24.6 g