Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An easy and authenic version of a Greek favorite. This recipe is from my long time friend Dana.
Make and share this Moussaka, Aunt Dana Style recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs zucchini or 2 lbs eggplants or 2 lbs potatoes, in any combination, not of each
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
BECHAMEL SAUCE TOPPING
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste (1/4 teaspoon is a nice amount)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Slice vegetables and fry in olive oil until slightly brown.
- Set aside.
- Saute meat, onion, and garlic in butter.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 egg, beaten, and bread crumbs.
- Prepare BECHAMEL SAUCE by melting the butter and adding the flour salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Gradually add the milk and cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses and 2 slightly beaten eggs to sauce.
- Assemble in a deep 9x12 baking dish by layering vegetables and meat mixture, to make 4 layers.
- Top with the Bechamel sauce and bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.