1 hr 25 mins
A hybrid of two of my favourite dishes! Moussaka with layers of pasta to make each slice even more filling than ever :) Looks like a lot of steps but a lot can be done at the same time so shouldn't be as time-consuming as it looks...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red pepper, roasted
- 1 medium eggplant, par-roasted
- 1 medium potato, par-boiled
- 1/2 carrot, finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 450 g lean organic ground lamb or 450 g beef mince
- 3 diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 beef stock cube or 1 lamb stock cube
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices lasagna noodles
For Bechamel Sauce
- 1Partially peel the eggplant so it looks striped, cut in 5mm rounds and brush each side with olive oil.
- 2Roast in oven for 15 mins on 400°C.
- 3While this is happening, grill (skin side up, until blackened) the red pepper.
- 4Peel and dice.
- 5Peel and cut potato into 5mm rounds and quickly par-boil so that the outer rim just begins to soften.
- 6Drain potato rounds and pour cold water over to stop them from cooking.
- 7With the remaining olive oil in a large skillet, fry the diced carrot, red pepper, and onion until translucent.
- 8Add the beef or lamb mince and fry.
- 9Add the herbs, stock cube, herbs, salt, black pepper, crushed garlic, diced tomatoes, nutmeg and cinnamon, turn the heat way down after the meat has browned.
- 10Now for the Bechamel Sauce:.
- 11In a small saucepan, mix the flour and butter over a low heat until a thick paste forms.
- 12Making sure it doesn't burn, keep spreading the paste around for a couple mins until the flour cooks off.
- 13Slowly add hot milk little by little, still stirring.
- 14Add parmesan and ricotta, keep stirring.
- 15Let cool for a few minutes before stirring in beaten eggs.
- 16In a lasagne dish, place the potato rounds, then a layer of lasagne pasta.
- 17Next add a layer of eggplant rounds, then half the mince mixture, then the mozzarella.
- 18Add another layer of pasta, eggplant rounds, then the rest of the mince.
- 19Pour the Bechamel sauce over the top, then pop the whole thing in the oven on 400 C for 40 mins or until lightly browned along the edges.
- 20Allow to cool off (this sets the top layer of "custard") for 20 mins before cutting into squares and serving.
- 21I find tabasco sauce goes great with this amazing dish!
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.0
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 192.9 mg
- Sodium 562.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence