From RachaelRay.com. Rachael made this on her show and I thought it looked great. This makes a large pot of pasta, great for potluck or company.
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 1 small eggplant, half-peeled and chopped into small dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano, grated
- Bring a large pot water to a boil, salt it and cook pasta to al dente.
- Preheat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with oil. Add the lamb and cook until brown, about 3-4 minutes; breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add in the garlic and chopped onions, season with allspice, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook another couple of minutes while you chop eggplant.
- Peel off half the skin of the eggplant. Chop the eggplant into a very small dice. Add the eggplant to the lamb and cook until it becomes soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a saucepot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute then whisk in the milk and thicken, about 5 minutes. Bring this mixture up to a bubble and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add this béchamel into the meat skillet and stir to combine.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, giving it a toss to mix everything up.
- Add the chopped parsley and grated cheese, and stir to combine.
Hubby & I loved this recipe. I did make one change- I went to 3 grocery stores and none of them had ground lamb, so I used Italian Sausage. I think it tasted ok, however if I had to sub next time, I would probably just use ground beef- I think the flavors of the spices would meld better with that than the sausage. So I stuck to the recipe for everything else, only cutting it in half and we really enjoyed it. I will keep this recipe to make again for sure. Thanks for posting it.
What a super recipe, easy to make, saucy and meaty and full of flavour, my family very much enjoyed this. I made my white sauce in the microwave, as this is how I generally do it, and since my family really don't like eggplant, (and they're grown-up and recognise an eggplant in the kitchen when they see it), I finally diced some garlic button mushrooms that I had in the fridge, that I think complemented the dish well. The spices are pleasant and not at all strong, all in all it was a flavoursome hearty dish, and thank you for an interesting twist on a classic dish!
I really enjoyed this. It was my first time cooking w/ lamb and eggplant. Moussaka is one of my favorite dishes but it has always intimidated me. Not anymore! This was a great simple version of it. Thanks! Even my 6 yr old loved it which was a plus for me!