This is Day 16: Dinner on the 21 Day Wonder diet. This is my absolute favourite dish on this diet! Moussaka is one of my favourite dishes of all time, and I was thinking the "diet" version would be a major let-down...Not so! The flavours are all there, and it satisfied the craving I was having for some good Greek food! You can use baby spinach instead of rocket, if you want.
- 1 small brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon beef stock
- 170 g lean ground beef
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock, extra
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 small red capsicum, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup skim-milk natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 20 g baby rocket
- Cook onion, garlic and beef stock in a medium frying pan until onion softens. Add beef, tomato and spices; cook, stirring, until beef is browned. Add extra stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, stir in herbs.
- Meanwhile, slice eggplant lengthways into 6 slices; discard the 2 outside pieces. Cook eggplant and capsicum on heated grill plate until browned and tender.
- Combine yogurt, rind, and juice in a small jug.
- Stack beef mixture, eggplant, capsicum and rocket on plates; drizzle with the yogurt mixture.