1/2 Photos of Moussaka-Style Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A wonderful way of creating four self-contained servings of moussaka. What makes it wonderful is the quality of the ricotta--the best way (and most economical)is to make your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (907.18 g) eggplants, medium-sized
- kosher salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil, plus
- extra oil, for rubbing the eggplants
- 340.19 g lean ground lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3.69 ml ground cloves
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml fresh ricotta
- 314.66 ml fresh ricotta
- fresh ground pepper
- 1.23 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
- 14.79-29.58 ml milk
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Halve the eggplants lengthwise and score the interior of each half, leaving about a third of an inch thickness on the perimeter.
- 2Use a paring knife and a spoon to scoop out the interior of the eggplant, leaving a 'boat.'.
- 3Using a fork, pierce the skin in several places, liberally salt the halves and place them upside down on paper towels to drain for about 30 minutes.
- 4Chop the eggplant flesh into 1/2" cubes and set aside 4 cups of the cubes (reserve any excess for another recipe).
- 5Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 6Wipe the eggplant shells out with paper towels, brush the skin lightly with a little olive oil, and place them on a baking sheet.
- 7Bake them until they are just tender (about ten minutes) then remove from the oven and set aside in a baking dish.
- 8Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 9Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the pieces, until lightly browned--about 5 minutes.
- 10Add the onion, garlic, 4 cups of eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is soft--about five more minutes.
- 11Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, cloves, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne and cook until the mixture is fairly dry.
- 12Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the ricotta.
- 13Season to taste and spoon into the 4 eggplant halves.
- 14Place the remaining 1 and 1/3 cups of ricotta in a small bowl and stir in the nutmeg and enough milk until the consistency of the cheese mixture is spreadable.
- 15Spread it over the filled eggplant halves and sprinkle the tops with parmesan.
- 16Bake until the tops are very brown--25 to 35 minutes.
- 17Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka-Style Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.4
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 125.9 mg
- Sodium 253.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 32.8 g