5 hrs 30 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
A delicious-sounding Greek recipe for the slow cooker from my Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker book. This dish is topped with a thick custard using gruyere cheese and a hint of nutmeg. YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 russet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick crosswise slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or less to taste)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, well-drained and halved
- 1Layer the potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker insert. Then layer all the eggplant slices on top.
- 2Grind the cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and allspice to a powder in an electric spice mill or mortar and pestle.
- 3In a large saute pan, heat the oil and cook the onion until it begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, spices, wine, tomatoes, and artichokes and continue to simmer until the pan is nearly dry. Add salt to taste.
- 4Pour the tomato-artichoke sauce carefully over the eggplant and potatoes (this dish can be assembled to this point a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator overnight). Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the stew easily penetrates all the layers.
- 5While the vegetables are cooking, make the custard topping. Combine the milk and flour in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens enough to thickly coat the back of a spoon. Gradually stir in the cheese, then turn off the heat and rapidly whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Stir in a dash of nutmeg.
- 6Carefully pour the custard over the vegetables, trying not to dislodge them. Cover and continue cooking for about 1 hour longer, or until the custard is set.
- 7Turn off the slow cooker and let the moussaka sit for 15-20 minutes, then carefully spoon up individual portions into a pasta bowl. Tip: The recipe suggests slicing up the dish into 4-6 portions right in the slow cooker insert with a sharp knife before removing the portions with a spoon.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka With Artichokes, Tomatoes, and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.4
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.8 mg
- Sodium 295.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 25.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: