1/3 Photos of Moussaka With Halloumi and Ricotta Cheese Topping
I used to make a cheese soufflé topping starting with a white sauce. This is easier and delicious. The Halloumi and Ricotta cheeses gives it a buttery taste that complements the creamyness of the eggplant and the acidity of the tomatoes without being too heavy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F.
- 2Slice the eggplant into 1cm slices. Brush with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes until soft.
- 3Chop the onion finely and fry until soft. Add the garlic and mince. Brown the mince. Add the tomatoes, basil (shredded) and some seasoning. Simmer to reduce the tomatoes to a thick sauce.
- 4To make the topping, grate the halloumi cheese into a bowl. Add the ricotta, flour and the egg yolks. Add a little milk if the mixture is too thick.
- 5Beat the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage (not stiff peaks). Season the egg and cheese mixture and then fold in the egg white, being careful not to knock all the air out of the egg white.
- 6To assemble the dish, put half the meat mixture in an ovenproof dish. Add a layer of eggplant, the rest of the meat and another layer of eggplant. Pour the egg and cheese topping over the top and bake until the topping is risen and golden (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- 7This can also be made with beef mince or brown lentils and carrots for a vegetarian version.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka With Halloumi and Ricotta Cheese Topping
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.7
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 181.7 mg
- Sodium 270.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: