Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are a different version of dolmathes, already posted by Evelyn #59756. Its the way my mum makes them.
- Put the onions in a bowl with water and let them stand for 10 minutes. Wash them well and drain.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Add in a bowl the rice, onions, the herbs, the seasonings and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Rinse the leaves under running water and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Place 1 leave on a counter, shiny side down and add 1 teaspoon of the rice filling. Roll but let it loose a lot, because the rice will expand. Continue with all the other leaves.
- Place the dolmathes in a saucepan and add 2 cups of warm water. Add a pinch of salt, and the olive oil. Let it boil and reduce the heat to low. After 10 minutes add 1/2 cup of water and the lemon juice. Simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Serve cold as an appetizer or as a full vegan dinner with a salad.
- Nice served with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.
Yum! Very different to the way my mother makes them but still very yummy. They take a little time to make but the effort is worth it at the end. My mother also places a plate on top of the Dolmas while it's cooking not to allow the rice too expand to much. Thank you Katia
I made this recipe for PAC Spring 2008. I had only had dolmathes with a meat and rice filling before this. I made a Greek meal for friends who are vegetarians and I wanted them to be able to enjoy all the dishes, so I decided to make this version. The recipe is so flavourful that I did not even miss the meat. Thank you Katia for posting this delicious recipe!