1/2 Photos of Mum's Yemista (Greek Stuffed Vegetables With Rice)
1 hr 30 mins
Yemista is a common dish during summer. Its great either warm or cold. You can stuff any vegetables you like, some use to stuff potatoes, large portabellos , bell peppers any colour, grapes leaves and even zucchini's flowers, the last ones are hard to find but they are the best. Also, in the filling some add feta, great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 firm and ripe tomatoes
- 3 green peppers
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes
- 14 tablespoons long grain rice
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried spearmint (fresh is even better)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1Cut off tops of tomatoes (retain them) and scoop out the pulp (retaining as well). Cut off tops of peppers and remove seeds (retain tops). Cut lengthwise the eggplants and with a spoon scoop out the pulp retaining as well. Cut the end of zucchini and also scoop out the pulp, retaining.
- 2Place the vegetables in a pan packed closely but not squashed.
- 3Take the pulp of all the vegetables and process it until pureed. Add in a bowl the rice,the vegetable puree, half of the olive oil, the garlic, the onion, the parsley, the spearmint, the salt and pepper. Mix using a spoon.
- 4Stuff all the vegetables and place the tops of tomatoes and peppers.
- 5Cut the potatoes to byte pieces and spread them between the vegetables.
- 6Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, salt again the vegetables and add the rest of olive oil. Combine 1 cup of water.
- 7Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (180°C) for approx 1.5 hour.
- 8If you have leftover filling, add in the pan and put on the top some diced tomato. Its the best! I usually make more filling in order to have many plain rice!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mum's Yemista (Greek Stuffed Vegetables With Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.7
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 60.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 8.2 g